Manassas Based Education Law Attorneys
Few people are familiar with education law in Virginia. In fact, many people are not even aware of their rights or their student’s rights, so finding yourself faced with an education law matter can be very confusing. At McIntyre DeFede Law PLLC in Manassas, our education law attorneys strive to ensure that our clients understand the legal process they are going through and how best to resolve it.
Sometimes it’s hard to tell if you need an attorney for an education-related matter. Our suggestion is to call us as soon as something doesn’t seem right. In a consultation, we will tell you if we can help.
Upholding The Rights Of Virginia Students And Teachers
Parents, students and teachers rarely expect that an issue with school could create the need for an attorney, but sometimes it does. At our law firm, we assist clients throughout Virginia with the following education law matters:
- Discipline: If your child is facing suspension, expulsion or any other form of discipline from a public or private school, it is important to contact an attorney. We are familiar with issues ranging from school based appeals through School Board hearings and beyond, including appeals in the Circuit Court and Virginia Supreme Court. Our attorneys are familiar with the administrative hearings in all of Northern Virginia for long term suspension, expulsions, lateral transfers, admissions/readmissions and alternative school placement. We will be able to tailor your approach accordingly for the school district in which you reside. Our experience also extends to private school discipline, including expulsions and honor code violations.
- Matters involving a college or university:Whether you are seeking in-state tuition, have been disciplined for honor code violations, need disability services or are in a dispute with a private college or university, we can help. One of the most important things a student can do is to consult with us before completing the application to request a change in status from out-of-state to in-state tuition.
- Virginia High School League: If your student has been denied eligibility to participate in athletics by the VHSL, our attorneys can assist you in the appeals process.
- Title IX: Our attorneys are able to assist all students involved in a Title IX investigation, whether the student is the complainant or the respondent. These investigations arise from a claim of sexual misconduct, such as sexual harassment, sexual assault, stalking, or dating violence and can have a serious impact on the educational future of the students involved. Although many people think of athletics when it comes to Title IX, it is a long-standing federal law designed to protect people from discrimination based on sex. These protections apply to all people in educational institutions in the U.S. which receive federal funding, whether in a K – 12 school or college.
Being involved in a Title IX investigation can be an overwhelming process for families. The attorneys at McIntyre DeFede Law PLLC are experienced in every step of the process to represent your interests, from responding to the investigative report to representing students at Title IX hearings.
- College and University: Whether you are seeking in-state tuition, or are facing discipline for honor code violations, conduct violations, or sexual assault allegations, we can help. Our attorneys are experienced with the pursuit of in-state tuition at all levels, from the initial request through a Virginia Supreme Court appeal. One of the most important things a student can do is to consult with us before completing the application to request a change in status from out-of-state to in-state tuition as that application is critical in the ultimate decision.
At your college or university, you are entitled to certain due process rights when facing discipline. Although many colleges and universities do not permit attorneys to speak at the discipline hearing, we are still able to advise you and strategize the most effective defense.
- Teachers: McIntyre DeFede Law PLLC represents teachers and other school employees who find themselves in the position of being adversarial to their administration. Whether through a false accusation or negative evaluation results, we represent teachers and other school district employees who require a defense against unfair treatment, including termination or petitions to revoke their license. The attorneys have extensive experience assisting teachers and school employees while utilizing the grievance procedures from the first step through grievance hearings and Civil Service Commission hearings.
School employees also rely on our firm’s expertise when it comes to dealing with a Child Protective Services (CPS) investigation. Our attorneys are familiar with the impact a CPS finding will have on a school employee and the appeals procedures which need to be followed. McIntyre DeFede Law PLLC has represented teachers at all stages of a CPS investigation, from the first interview to the state level hearing.
- Special education: As a parent, it is extremely frustrating to deal with a school that will not acknowledge the needs of your child. If your student lives with a disability, but the school is not meeting his or her needs, our education law attorneys can help.
At McIntyre DeFede Law PLLC, we know that you are a full-time advocate for your child. We are here to assist you in ensuring the school meets its legal obligation to your child. Our special education lawyers help clients in Manassas and throughout Virginia with:
- Determining your child’s eligibility by working with medical experts, including psychologists and psychiatrists, if necessary
- Determining services and/or placement for your child through both IEPs and 504 Plans
- Serving as a liaison between you and the school system
- Attending Individualized Education Program meetings, 504 meetings, manifestation determination review hearings (MDR) and causality hearings
- Working through administrative reviews, mediation, due process hearings and court litigation
- Being A Voice For You And Your Child
When your child’s well-being is at stake, you — like many other parents — may feel that you have no other choice but to voice your concerns repeatedly to the school’s administration. If your relationship with the school has become tarnished or the school refuses to hear your concerns, our attorneys can act on your behalf. An adversarial relationship with the school isn’t good for you or your child. Our attorneys know how to work effectively with local school districts to ensure your child’s needs are being met, with your concerns being both heard and addressed.